Re: a bitchin I go again..

At 10:32 AM 9/30/2002 -0400, you wrote:

>................. I'm sure it's possible to
>right a terms of service agreement that would protect Fuji from the
>actions of third parties without granting the company quite such
>sweeping rights.

Indeed!. This so called free service in reality will generate revenue from
the ordinary reprint service (which is not cheap) with the possibility of
additional business from sales to friends and/or relatives of the
subscriber, who can order directly from the web site. There will also be
sales of mugs, t-shirts, and other fun stuff as Fuji adds them. The storage
of the album past thirty days will soon cost $25 AU per year per 500 image
block and will produce additional profits. There is free lunch here but not
for a photographer.

> It sounds like these lawyers were told, "We want to
>offer this service and we want to incur no liability whatsoever as a
>result of doing so. Whether we trample on the rights of the people
>using the service (our customers) is of no concern to us." Sounds
>like a case of stupid arrogant business people to me, or else another
>instance of corporate harvesting of intellectual property.
>
> Alan P. Hayes

Why not both? I'm not sure the lawyers were told exactly that but I'm sure
they were told to come up with an agreement that will protect Fuji et al
and produce as much revenue as possible. By the way, there is no
requirement for any new technology to produce a huge data base of images
because all the shops processing film and loading images to the Internet
are included in the use agreement. In essence each store can become a Stock
Photo Agency with out having to pay for the images. It would be trivial for
a machine operator to cherry pick salable images while processing the film.
 This might be an incentive for individual processors to advertise locally
and participate in Fuji's program.

There is nothing particularly wrong here except Fuji is glossing over the
use agreement knowing full well the average subscriber will not peruse the
contract.   Oh, of course, all pros or semi pros will read the agreement
and  _certainly_ say no!!

Dave
East Englewood
Life is an aimless drive you make alone. Might as well enjoy the ride and
take the long way home...
  -  Blood Hound Gang