Sept 14 Gallery

Due to jIMMY's subtle last minute pressure and nothing but empty beer bottles in the house, I offer my humble observations on this week's gallery as seen at
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html

Bruce Harrison Jr. - I don't really get a sense of balance that I would expect from such a geometric subject. I'm pretty sure though that I would rather not be able to see the background under the tractor. On the other hand I really like the little patch of red. I find it very alluring down there so small and so not yellow or green and only part of it visible peeking into the shot out of curiosity but not brave enough to step completely in.

Emily L. Ferguson (Reciprocity Failure) - Well Emily boy did you ever screw up what could have been a beautifully dull shot. That blue is sooooo smooth and the exposure on the light is perfect. Fabulous light. I love the slight vignetting and the faint wisp of clouds in the sky. Great camera angle too. Lovely shot and of course you won't be telling anyone else that the blue was an accident.

Rob Miracle (Umph) - I've never been a big sports fan but I can't help but be impressed by a great image and this is truly impressive. Excellent composition and the facial expressions really make this shot. I would have thought a shutter speed much faster than 1/125th. Great photo.

jIMMY Harris (Brown-eyed Susan) - I like the way the petals frame the center of the flower and how it sort of spills open for me but the rim around the flower is rather unpleasant to me. This reminds me of the wallpaper we used to have in our kitchen in the 1970s.

Dan Reeves (just flowers) - I find it very difficult to get into this image. I would have an easier time if there was just one stalk. The two of them seem to compete as opposed to working together. The green seems very oppressive too and I think that might be emphasized by the lack of freshness in the flowers. Its as if the green is crushing the little splashes of pink.

Bob Talbot (Largs) - A towel wrapped person stops and stares over his shoulder at another person floating upon a lake. They are separated by a dead tree. Why are either of them there? There are no other people visible and perhaps none exist. Its a very strange scene for a mind such as mine. By the way, I like strange.

Alan P. Hayes (Blue Car Bronx Morning Heading West) - Alan I'm starting to get into your blurry night shots but this one is giving me Saturday morning flashbacks to my Navy days. OK in the Navy it was every morning. This double image really bothers my eyes and I can't even look at it long enough to really see what's there. Its like my contact lenses are both slipping at the same time. Sorry about that.

dragon d'Phreque (daydream believer) - I liked the selective coloring and the blue reflections of the globe in the boy's eyes then I looked closer and noticed the reflections were actually a message. Cool effect.

Doug Seibert (The Eagle has landed) - The arch of light and the overall quality of the shot are great. Now was that eagle really sitting there or is it a digital addition? There are interesting details but I can't find the boat.

D.L. Shipman - Very, very clear. Great detail. Great camera angle too.

Dan Mitchell (Seaside Cottage) - I have a hard time getting a clear impression from this image. Being rather unfamiliar with seaside villages, I can't tell if the foreground contains tools of the fishing trade or trash. Perhaps its old fishing equipment that has been thrown out in the trash. Perhaps its just that it's after midnight now.

Richard Cooper (Moment) - Of silence? I am wondering if you tilted the image to straighten crooked verticals and forgot to crop the edges or if you twisted the whole thing to give it the look of a photo that has been tossed upon a table. I sort of like the shaft of red and white cutting through the image but I do wish the background were a bit less in focus.

Thanks to this weeks artists for your submissions.

Greg Fraser