Re: white balance at 5000 k

Kostas,

With 5000k, the whites of your screen tends to be a little warm for European
standards. I've my monitor set to 6500k. I don't think that 5000k is much
used unless they are working for prepress in the US and in a CMYK
environment (often with a Mac). All the standards on PC are mostly for
6500k.

That's the temperature of Adobe RGB and Bruce RGB..

9300K is still often standard on PC and offers slightly blue whites (which
is perfect in an office environment).
6500k is a little warmer (toward yellow/red)
5000k is too red for European tastes.

I've read somewhere that 6500k on the display screen was looking similar to
the 5000k light booth. Not having a light booth, I don't know..

But may be more than having different fixed settings the bests screen will
offer you the possibility to use controls in order to choose any temperature
between 5000 and 9300. Even better ones offers the possibility to adjust the
three colors guns separately. These controls are often found in special
screen menu : you choose colors, then you have possibility to choose between
different preset temperatures.. Good screens offer you the possiblity to
choose "customs settings" and to adjust all the color separately..

Well that's true for CRT screens, less so for Flat TFT Panels.

Although I'm very tempted to get a TFT screen (the CalorVision spider works
on them), I'm unsure whether one can do serious digital photography printing
with it..  I'd be very interested to know whether some of the PF members are
using such a screen with success in order to print with an Epson printer ?

Good luck for your choice Kostas..

Christiane