Re: Focal Length Redux

[snip]

Aha! See http://www3.yomogi.or.jp/chandler/pics/14stn1.jpg

> To get right to it, I'm sure most people know the gist of the replies to my
> statement above. With two exceptions I've seen it all before. The main
> thrust is that the only way to change apparent spacial relationships is to
> change the observers position.

The argument got a bit long, and I got a bit lost, but do you accept
this bit? That is, do you think that jiggling the zoom lens can allow
you to see around corners?

> This ignores the fact the formula for finding the
> focal length for a given pinhole is diameter of pinhole times itself times
> 750 so the FL of a .4mm pinhole is 120mm.

It is? How would you calculate that? How would you account for the fact
that with a pinhole of "focal length" 3 ells, a film 7.4 attoparsecs
>from the film, and a subject ranging from 3 mm to 4 miles distant
everything is equally "in focus" modulo diffraction effects? Can you
draw some sort of diagram explaining the paths traced by light rays in
arriving at a point of focus of a pinhole?

> This shows just how sharp a pinhole shot can be if it is exposed at the
> proper focal length for the size of the pinhole. When you move a pinhole
> back and forth you are NOT changing the focal length, you are just moving
> it in and out of focus.

This does seem to be counter both to theory and practice... ???

> Every lens has a "normal" format and every format has a "normal" lens.

It does? And how do you calculate this "normal" lens/format? Can it be
empirically determined? Or just looked up in an old book?

Sorry, too many questions?
Brian Chandler
geo://Sano.Japan.Planet_3
http://imaginatorium.org/