Re: Official archives or what ?

"Alan P. Hayes" <ahayes@berkshire.rr.com> writes:

>   I don't quite understand why people put archives like this in public
> accessible web space. Sooner or later it seems to come to the notice
> of the people being archived and generally provokes a less than
> favorable reaction. There was an incident on the StreetPhoto list
> where someone was archiving messages from that list on a
> quasi-commercial site and got roundly jumped on.
>
> It seems like poor netiquette, especially when you can do the same
> thing on your own hard drive, presumably much more cheaply...(wicked
> laugh!!)...

They think they're performing a public service, and I rather think
they are.  Since the list is public, and already has a public archive,
they're not doing anything the members don't already expect, and more
sites makes it more accessible and less vulnerable to loss.

And me web space runs on hard drives that cost just the same as the
hard drives in my own desktop system (and sit next to each other on
the shelf).
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b@dd-b.net  /  http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/
 John Dyer-Bennet 1915-2002 Memorial Site http://john.dyer-bennet.net