Re: Official archives or what ?

Christiane-

Not official, but Rick Ellis is listed as the owner of the
spinics.net domain and also as a subscriber to this list. It looks to
me like a private archive for his own use. Posts to mailing lists are
quite public, and tend to be more or less haphazardly preserved all
over the net, something that people tend to either not know, or
forget!

  I don't quite understand why people put archives like this in public
accessible web space. Sooner or later it seems to come to the notice
of the people being archived and generally provokes a less than
favorable reaction. There was an incident on the StreetPhoto list
where someone was archiving messages from that list on a
quasi-commercial site and got roundly jumped on.

It seems like poor netiquette, especially when you can do the same
thing on your own hard drive, presumably much more cheaply...(wicked
laugh!!)...

  Here are a couple of links that might prove informative:
<http://whois.awregistry.net/cgi-bin/whois-info3?DOMAIN=spinics.net+SERVER=whois.awregistry.net>
<http://www.spinics.net/>

--
Alan P. Hayes
Meaning and Form: Writing, Editing and Document Design