Re: Rodenstock N,S, and W lenses. What does N, S, or W mean?

Luis,

I think that you can't compare the Grandagon line with the Sironar line. The
Grandagon line is a line of wide angle lenses and as such they have a much
wider coverage from start.. (for those not accustomed to LF, yes, the 200mm
can be a wideangle if you use it with a 8x10 inch format).

The Sironar are a line of normal lenses, offering different coverage in
order to cope with the different formats (offering a focal length equal to
the diagonal of the format).

I've digged in my archives where I found explanations for the Rodenstock
lenses, I got the leaflets back in 2000; they described the N and S series,
but I didn't find any mention of a W series. The S series has a larger
coverage than the N series; Rodenstock adds that the N series is an all
around lens and that the S series is also an all around lens, but that it
shines in reproduction works, because it is able to restitute very fine
details even at the edge.

In the Grandagon line, there was a Grandagon series and a Grandagon N
series. The Grandagon series have smaller focal lengths than the N series
and Rodenstock doesn't explain why they are named differently.

I don't see any W series, neither in the Grandagon line, nor in the Sironar
line. I've just visited their German www site and there is still no mention
of the W series, but from there one can download specifications sheets for
each series of lenses. May be that the W series is specific to the US market
?

http://www.rodenstockoptics.de/rodenstockoptics/index.htm  or may be that
their site hasn't been updated, who knows..

Christiane