Re: Rodenstock N,S, and W lenses. What does N, S, or W mean?

On Sat, 14 Sep 2002, Christiane Roh wrote:

> Welcome to the list !  I've Schneider lenses so I don't know the right
> answer to your question, but LF lenses are discriminated by their coverage
> (the width of the image they are able to project on the groundglass), which
> can vary for the same focal length. I suspect that N could be for Normal, W
> for Wide and S for Superwide coverage.

  I looked into this idea, and here is what I found:

  (All Rodenstock)

      Lens                       Angle of coverage    Image Circle (@f/22)
   _________________________    __________________   __________________

   Grandagon N 200mm f/5.6         102 deg            495mm

   APO Sironar N 210mm f/5.6        72                301

   APO Sironar S 210mm f/5.6        75                316

   APO Sironar W 210mm f/5.6        80                352

   Rodenstock refers to the Grandagon N series as having "super wide
  angle of, coverage".

  They describe the APO Sironars as "an all around lens" (?).

   APO Sironar S: " Like the APO Sironar N, its applications are
  practically limitless. The angle of view has been increased to
  75 deg to permit more shift, which permits applications that require
  large parallel shifts to correct the perspective optical design."

   The Sironar W: "..can also be used as a wide angle."

   And from all that, it seems like the "W", "S" and "N" do not
  define angle of coverage or image circle. The two Ns have very
  different coverages and image circles. One of the Ns (Grandagon)
  has the largest angle of coverage and image circle, and the W falls
  somewhere in between.

             --- Luis