Re: Rodenstock N,S, and W lenses. What does N, S, or W mean?

Le 13.9.2002 3:40, « Lainewar@aol.com » <Lainewar@aol.com> a écrit :

> Hello Photo Forum List members:
>
> My name is Sean, and I am a photographer who has just bought his first 4x5
> camera. I also recently bought a Rodenstock 210mm f/5.6 Apo Sironar - S lens
> for my 4x5 view camera. As Rodenstock does not talk about there lenses on
> their web site like Schneider does, I do not have any information on this or
> any other Rodenstock lens. I would like to see reviews on their lenses, and I
> would like to find out how they perform in various lens test before I make
> future purchases.
>
> As I said before, my lens is an Apo Sironar - S. But I do not know what the
> N, S, or W mean in the title of Rodenstock lenses. Does anyone on the list
> know what these letters mean?

Hi Sean,

Welcome to the list !  I've Schneider lenses so I don't know the right
answer to your question, but LF lenses are discriminated by their coverage
(the width of the image they are able to project on the groundglass), which
can vary for the same focal length. I suspect that N could be for Normal, W
for Wide and S for Superwide coverage.. But it's just an hypothese. There
are various places on the www where you could look for confirmation :

A very nice place to start is :

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/
It contains reviews and tutorial for beginning LF photographers which
greatly helped me. Especially, you'll find a page from where you can
download EXCEL files containing specification charts for all the lenses :
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/lenses/

You can also pay a visit to photonet :
http://www.photo.net/equipment/large-format/

Both of these sites maintain forum and you can search their archives, but
they work as bulletin boards through www pages which I find rather noyous.

There are other more or less active discussion lists about LF which works
through Emails, it is :

http://www.topica.com/lists/bigneg/read

Finally you may also find more information there :

http://www.f32.net/discus/
(I think it's an ordered archive of the first discussion list mentionned)

You have to become members of Yahoo and Topica if you want to subscribe to
these groups and receive the messages in your mail box.. Beware of Yahoo
because it sends a lot of SPAM if you don't deactivate that in your
profile.. Topica is more friendly, but the Bigneg list is no more so active.

Good luck with your new 4x5 !!

Christiane