contrast & colors

Hi everybody,

I'd like to know how professional photographers manage to
get that contrasty photos? This style's been used largely in
fashion photography. You know, saturated colors, greenish
(or other color) tone, a certain grain.

What I just know is that cross-processing gives the satured colors.
But besides that, what other techniques are used?

Are out there any website covering this topic?

tks all
Levy Carneiro Jr.