Re: Two basic and dumb questions about lenses

From: "Izzet"
> Assume I have a 35 mm. SLR with a 28 mm. lens on it. I am looking though
> the viewfinder to the subject. Then I change the lens to a 300 mm, and
> look at the same subject from the same distance. Now the subject is
> filling more of my view and also seems magnified.
>
> 1- Is the reason for that magnification ONLY the decreased
> field-of-view?

yes :-)

> 2- If this is so, do I get the same image if I use a
> a)300 mm. tele and print full-frame to an 8*10 card,

I'm assuming you mean an 8x10 print, the answer is yes..

> b)100 mm. tele and print full-frame to a 24*30 (if it exists) and then
> crop to an 8*10?

yes.

If you do not change your perspective, that is to say that you do not change your
position, then the relationships between all that you see in your viewfinder remains
unaltered.  you just see more or less of the scene with each different focal length lens.

Look at it one other way, if you used a 50mm wide-angle lens on an 4x5 camera and then
cropped the center out of the image to make a 35mm frame you'd get a picture the same as
if you'd used a 50mm lens on a 35mm camera - it would be a 'normal' lens for the 35mm
format but a wide angle for the 4x5 :-)

karl