RE: off topic without permission...

I too have had a bit of eBay experience internationally. I generally have to pay provincial sales tax and customs when I import (into Canada) but the last item I bought came by United Parcel Service from the US and the shipper rated the item at half its sale value and marked it 'Gift - no resale value'. It was not opened by customs and I only paid the UPS bill. I have shipped to the US, Japan and France via air mail and the packages arrived within a week.

As far as payment goes, I use an online payment service when possible but if the seller does not accept that then I send an international money order. I have a good feedback record on eBay so for most US or Canadian deals the seller allows me to send a personal cheque and they will ship the item even before the cheque clears. One guy even shipped the item before I sent the payment. The eBay feedback file is the only way other people have to judge how to treat you so you need to keep that squeaky clean.

When dealing with sellers you really have to check their feedback file before bidding. I bid on a tripod once and the seller had no feedback file which I thought meant I had a 50/50 chance of getting screwed but I'm a trusting person so I bid. A day later I checked his feedback file and found out that he had recently changed his eBay ID. So I checked his old feedback file and there was an angry mob of torch bearers lining up to kill this guy. The auction closed and I was naturally the only bidder so I won and I sent him the money. After 2 weeks and no response from my flurry of emails I contacted eBay and they really couldn't do anything for me so I tracked the guy down on the internet and began calling his business. Finally after about 2 months the tripod arrived in the mail complete with 'Property of Channel 7 Vancouver, BC' painted on the post. I contacted the TV station asking them if it was stolen and they never replied. It turned out to be a great deal for me but I learned to investigate a bit more before bidding.

Greg Fraser