Re: Off center aperture

Gregory Fraser <Gregory.Fraser@pwgsc.gc.ca> writes:

Has anyone ever experimented with a camera with an off center aperture
so that when you stopped down to the smallest opening, instead of the
opening being centered behind the lens, it is off to one side? I would
imagine the image would be less sharp and I would imagine you would
likely have vignetting but would you have the same effect as shifting
the lens? Would you be able to even focus such a lens?

No, I haven't experimented, cause frankly it doesn't sound particularly
interesting. So this is all theory.

Well, consider a (simple) lens, with two spherical surfaces. The
curvature of the surface is the same at all points of the sphere, so in
gross terms there shouldn't be any effect from using other than the
middle of the lens. But all the aberrations will be worse, probably
much worse.

You'll have to do this with a home-made lens, probably. Instructions:
http://imaginatorium.org/stuff/chand95.htm

Brian Chandler
geo://Sano.Japan.Planet_3
http://imaginatorium.org/