Re: Off center aperture

Greg,

> Has anyone ever experimented with a camera with an off center aperture so
that when you stopped down to the smallest opening, instead of the opening
being centered behind the lens, it is off to one side? I would imagine the
image would be less sharp and I would imagine you would likely have vignetting
but would you have the same effect as shifting the lens? Would you be able to
even focus such a lens?

I am not sure there was much discussion about this but I would think that there
should be no major noticeable effect with placing the aperture off center. In
fact, any point or area of the lens will form an identical image of the scene
as any other point (except for a little parallax discrepancy I believe). This
is the principle by which more and more luminous images of a scene are made as
the aperture is opened up. More and more points on the lens contribute more and
more images of the scene on top of each other (so to speak) and this makes the
image brighter.

I hope I am not too far off or I will have egg on my face!

Andy