Re: Luis' meager Gallery Review (and a nice pano link..)

Wow.. Luis, you are spoiling me with such a long review. Thanks for taking
the time to tell your thoughts and for the kind words. I'm passing by this
store window every workday. On that Wednesday, I was already late and
hurrying to the office, slaloming along the market stands (Wednesday is
market day) when I saw that the two mannequins of the leatherwear store were
standing there naked and armless.. Noting the apples stalked on the stand, I
couldn't resist and opened the camera bag.. I would have wanted to stay
there even longer. I'm not completely satisfied by the framing though; this
is a slight crop from all sides, particularly at the bottom (where there
were distracting white panels of cardboard with handwritten prices for each
kind of apples). Yes, the Greek armless Venus, the Myth of Adam and Eve in
the lost paradise plus the apples and the perfect gendered role of Eve
leaning toward Adam, I had all that in mind while shooting. But after I
thought it may just be too evident, too easy.. Anyway, it was a funny
coincidence and I do still like it, but for the framing.

Le 11.8.2002 12:09, « luis » <chilled_delirium@mailstation.com> a écrit :

> Lausanne, May 2002, by Christiane Roh - Two mannequins in a store window
> overlooking the street. They are naked, revealing the artifice and physical
> ideals/standards of the age, looking like a parody of
> Classical Greek sculptures, sans arms. But this picture is deceptively
> simple (or I've gone bonkers yet again)...I see CHristiane's Dystopic, Magical
> Mystery Tour has made another stop. Today, Ladies and gentlemen, our Tourguide
> has brought us to Paradise.
> .
>       [From "Paradizzo" , a small, walled enclosure.]
>
> Here are the Post-Millenial Adam and Eve, like pheasants under glass. Perfect
> Grotesques, naked, anatomically incorrect, and without arms, unable to hold
> each other, or do anything about their environment. This Paradise is not about
> the beginning of the world, but about its present wasteland condition -- or
> the end.  Anorectic Eve whispers into Adam's ear like a character from TS
> Eliot, and he looks away from her, preacher-hair permanently in place, muscles
> taut, and impotent. But Christiane has brought more to this tableau: Look
> below, right  below Eve's feet...my God, there are mounds of APPLES, forbidden
> apples ! Tons of them, but this Eve can't get to them because of the glass,
> and even if she could, she couldn't pick one up to eat...
>
>   Our tour guide glances at our ashen faces, smiles knowingly a little too
> long, and directs the driver of the Blue Bus to the nearest bar. He mashes the
> accelerator, and no one complains. If the bar isn't open, we'll break in. Time
> for a little Dionysian revelry....

Oh.. Geezz you were in a tour bus.. That's so American ;-)  but it won't
work here : it's the pedestrian zone and no buses are allowed. There are
only pedestrian tours in the historical center, with tons of scales and
steep narrow streets to climb up and down.

Photoforumers, take a tour here in order to get the feel of it : the site
features the nicest panoramas shots I've ever seen and you can jump from one
to the other without exiting to the menu, just clicking on the world globe
when you see one in the frame :

http://www.vrway.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/VRWay.woa/1/wo/Ex5CNBRClDwT2iMPrew1u
jbpeT7/3.28.0.3.0.ImageMapViewer.0.2.1.3.1

(or go to http://www.vrway.com and choose Switzerland for the country and
Lausanne for the city, then click on the map upper part of the map and on
any location indicated with a dot).  All the panos fans should pay a visit
to the VRWAY www site, it's well worth the trip. And there are thousands of
other destinations in the world to discover, although the ones made for
Lausanne are particularly well conceived. (you'll need the Quick time plugin
I think).

Le 11.8.2002 18:04, « chandler » <chandler@yomogi.or.jp> a écrit :

> Christiane Roh - Lausanne, May 2002
>
> Pic of the week! I mean, what is she saying to him? "Don't look, but
> there's a pervert with a camera lurking behind the pineapples..." ?
> Very nicely seen, Christiane.

Wow.. You caught me Brian ;-)   Thanks for adding another meaning to which I
had not thought and thanks for the review..

Christiane