Re: Luis' meager Gallery Review

Luis

I normally leave responding to reviews till later in the week but
1) I've lost my second modem at home in only a few months so can't guarantee to do it later.
2) You hit the nail on the head over what I saw in the "pattern": I hadn't thought anyone on PF would even have heard of Uffington ... but that is closest to what I saw that led me to take the shot ...

>    "Pattern", by Bob Talbot - White on red patterns. What are the colors due to ?
This really is just "one more pebble on the beach".   It's just another macro shot at somewhere between 1:1 and 2:1 of a red sandstone pebble (side lit) with there white granitic (???) streaks running through it.   The colours are hard to judge  because in life (dry) it has a matt surface that you cannot reproduce on a chrome / monitor / gloss print.  It needs to be printed on matt paper.  The redness is VERY much sronger if you wet the pebble.

> No matter, for this human eye immediatelt leaps to
> the forms, and while a pattern is just a pattern,
> this is like lying on your back and looking at clouds.
>Yeah, just clouds,
My description was in apology for a comment I made to Andy's image last week.
In a way *I* see things in my picture and like it ... but it really is  "Just a pattern".

> but the human mind rarely rests, and often confabulates shapes and stories
> in a waking dream, at least for dreamers, who need very little prompting to
> launch...and this pattern is asymmetrical in a spontaneous manner,
> the moment I saw it, Finnish Reindeer came to mind, walking like
> a giant centipede in the snow-carpeted dark forests...
I think that is part of it's quality for me (or I would not have shown it).
I see different pictures at different times:  none of them a perfect match to anything real-worldy.

> then I am reminded of the gigantic chalk figures of England....
> particularly a series of horses (Uffington ?),

THAT is what I meant by you hitting the nail on the head
"White Horse Hill" is but 10 miles from where I sit.

The view in the link ...
http://www.adrian.smith.clara.net/waylands.html
shows it from the air ... and it looks less of a horse than my pattern (at least mine has a rider in armour on it's back ;o)

The thing about this white horse is that it can't be seen from the ground properly:
but again, it is just a pattern ;o)

Bob

Freeserve AnyTime, only £13.99 per month with one month's FREE trial!
For more information visit http://www.freeserve.com/time/ or call free on 0800 970 8890