Re: Color to BW using Photoshop

Charles Dias <charlesbronsondias@hotmail.com> writes:

>   Some days ago in a brazilian photo list there was a discussion about
> the right way to turn a color photo in a BW photo using photoshop
> ... some member claimed that the grayscale function exists for this
> purpose ... other member almost had a heart attack after reading that
> messagens and claimed that the right way was manipulating the color
> channels in a dozen of different way ... concluding, there was no
> concense and now I´m very confused about that ... so, what is the
> right way to do that???

This concept of the "right" way of doing artistic things should be
taken out and shot, so it will stop bothering us :-).

It depends, of course, on what results you want to achieve.  I find I
mostly end up using the channel mixer myself.  I'm doing a little bit
of color rendition adjustment, or else maybe I'm dealing with a badly
underexposed blue channel that I want to get rid of the noise in, or
something.

If I've got a clean scan of a good color negative, I usually just do
the simplest conversion -- unless I want to adjust the color
renditions.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b@dd-b.net  /  New TMDA anti-spam in test
 John Dyer-Bennet 1915-2002 Memorial Site http://john.dyer-bennet.net