Re: PF exhibits of 2002-07-27 (ORION)

In a message dated 7/28/2002 4:22:26 AM Central Daylight Time, BobTalbot@st-abbs.fsnet.co.uk writes:

>               jIMMY Harris - ORION
Curious

Trying to get my mind round the technical trickery of this.
I'll ask my amateur astronomer colleague what he thinks!

Are you saying the lens was open for the whole 45 min or a series of
exposures at increasing apperture?
If it was in focus the aperure should just make them brighter as stars
are as close to infinity as we can get really.

The 8-sec on the star at the end suggests this was a series of short
exposures?

BOB,

Thanks for Your interest in this Photo.

My intention was to make a time exposure of Star trails like ones seen in Astronomy Magazines - but to have the trails appear 'diminished'  at the back end - to give the Feeling of -motion occurring during a period of time-!

The exposure was made with the shutter open for 45 min at each f/stop.  F/16 then f/11, f/8, f/5.6 and then the lens was covered for 45 min.  I then -skipped- all the other f/stops and made an 8 second exposure @ f/1.4 to show each Star as a round  point of light.  Total exposure time approximately  4 1/2 hours.

At least this is what -I think- I remember doing!  The temperature was around 15 degrees F. and my -fingers and Brain- were Numb even though I ran back inside the house between each aperture adjustment.

jIMMY

P S -  I have always regretted not using a '4 Point Cross Star Filter'  - for the last 8 second exposure!