Re: Ouch.

At 12:15 AM +0200 7/24/02, Christiane ROH wrote:
>Hi Greg,
>
>Thanks for your attention.. Now that's interesting, because I was thinking
>that this heavy iron work in the background wasn't really suited to what
>I'm, at least not to the kind of architecture I favor.. Also, as far as
>recognizing a style, you have probably one of the most characteristic in the
>PF gallery and a great unity of subject; oppositely, I've always thought
>that I was shooting casually, this and that, without any special focus of
>attention, with different cameras/lens/medias. So to sum up, I'd be glad if
>you could come up with one or two characteristics that my pictures have in
>common and which makes them recognizable.

Butting in here...
Christiane-
I find that you have a very distinctive look to your pictures. They
tend to have have very strong but unconventional composition, often
with very evident tension. You also exhibit what seems to me to be a
very individual and often quite subtle, but dramatic, color sense.
I'm not sure I'm doing such a good job of describing what I see here,
but the fact remains that your photos stand out from almost any
collection of pictures I've seen them in. You seem to me to have a
definite, individual eye. I admit it-I'm a fan!

That said, I had to go back and look at your self-portrait, because
at first it did not seem to be typical of your work. Looking at it
again, I would say that the staircase is a little more prominent than
someone else might make it, given that it is not the focus of the
picture. Also, I totally missed that you and the doors are reflected
in a mirror, also that you are facing the viewer. I expect that this
was partly the result of seeing  a copy reduced for web display,
which is a real problem in viewing pictures this way. Also partly
just me being dumb about these things sometimes! I also wonder if you
intend this picture to be as dark as it appears on my screen. I
didn't see that you were facing us until I lightened things up in
Photoshop. After looking at it again and seeing a little more clearly
what was actually going on, I can see more of what I see as a rule in
your photos, in this case a bit of trompe l'oeil.

Leave it to Greg to see your style in it right away... He's got a
good eye... for a Canadian wheat paranoid...

A.
--
Alan P. Hayes
Meaning and Form: Writing, Editing and Document Design