Re: > Re: Self portrait gallery

----- Original Message -----
From: "ADavidhazy" <ANDPPH@ritvax.rit.edu>
To: "List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students"
<photoforum@ase-listmail.rit.edu>
Cc: <ANDPPH@vmsmail.rit.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, July 16, 2002 6:24 PM
Subject: Re: > Re: Self portrait gallery

> Hi Steve,
>
> > No one is taking on my self portrait.  No body in this group every heard
of
> > Spin and Marty?  "Good jeans [Levis] are determined by their ability to
> > stand in a corner all by themselves before they go into the wash."
>
> The truth is that I must have heard that saying and Spin and Marty but I
> honestly have forgotten. Was that from the 50's or the 60's? I _was_
wondering
> if the jeans were just hanging there but did not imagine they were just
> standing by themselves. In any case, they do give a pretty good indication
as
> to who wears them!! So how long since they been in the wash? If they stand
up
> like that I suspect a couple months at least, no?
>
> BTW, now that I think of it ... if you were not wearing the jeans ... what
were
> you doing? I guess making a picture of them, no? So what camera did you
use to
> make the photograph? I guess you did not have to worry about motion blur.
>
> regards,
> andy

Ah, thanks for your patronage, Andy.  Spin and Marty was the weekly
situation comedy incorporated in the Mickey Mouse Club on TV in the late
40's early 50's; but it may have been the 50's.

Spin was the California blond guy and Marty was the City slicker, both in
their early teens.  Spin told Marty he couldn't ride horses until his jeans
could stand in the corner by themselves.  Marty had to learn how to achieve
that.

After mucking stalls, working into the night so he had to sleep in those
jeans, working up a sweat and adding the sweat from the horse, when the guys
'pants' Marty, there he stood in his underwear (this was a Disney
production, right) in front of all the young boys at the Dude Ranch . . .
while they stood his jeans up in the corral and they stood up by themselves
with even the now proud Marty, to understand what it meant to earn your
jeans.

Mine are standing by themselves, actually black jeans (who says you can't
change the colors in a picture) while I made the picture with a Canon Rebel
using the pop up flash, 90th of a sec. at f 4.5.  This was used as a
portrait of the artist for a one man show in Pacific Grove, Ca circa 1995.

E.W. "It's the conditions of the imagination offered that make the picture
important."   So, who knows anything about the Mickey Mouse Club?  It's a
Mickey Mouse question, I guess.  All in 1/90th of a second, but with a lot
of life, was the intention.

:)
S. Shapiro