Re:AT 2003

Hi Karl,

'going green' got a chuckle out od that one!

The thru-hiker is taking a very compact computer for email.  The purpose
is to log
daily notes of the trip to be loaded to a website for the powers to be
to read
his experiences on the trail.

He will send these notes from each town where he
makes mail-supply-phone calls-rest stops.

I will load/send the approved photos to a site to match his log notes-
from a laptop and
flatbed scanner which
I will have stored off the trail.
Most likely I will load the images from home in between
the section hiking I will do.
If there is a need to get something  out quicker, I want to be prepared
to do so.

The hiker has all needed power (his own batteries, etc.) worked out
through his General Mail
Delivery drops at post offices along the trail.

That's the basic plan, although digital is going to be time consuming
and expensive.

The weight  and instant review on the digital camera is a major plus,
even with batteries and additional memory.

There is a  Sony? that will go to 310 mm or thereabouts with its optical
zoom.  By 2003 the price should be
better too!
Getting digital prints will be time munching as well.

I will be taking a film camera, just cannot bear to carry a point and shoot
( Olympus has the 170 zoom).

Still considering an older medium format, can't remember the
manufacturer, I do not own one--any thoughts on this type of film camera Karl?

Not a Diana, nor a Blad : )
- Blazy