Re: AT 2003

Bobbie writes:
> I have worked out the carrying capacity and the shooting conditions will

> Any thoughts from PFer's welcome.

Hiya Bobbie.  I watched a discussion on a news group about a guy who was doing a bicycle
tour and wanted to hear the pros and cons from the group about various camera options on
his trip - he was contemplating 'going green' (which was how he viewed digital) but was
asking for advice from the more experienced photographers as to whether it would be viable
compared to conventional 35mm photography.

He listened to the groups loudest and shrillest advocate of digital, bought the camera he
thought would do the job, and set off on his journey.

A number of weeks later he was back with a tale of the trials and tribulations of touring
with digital - lack of batteries or places to buy the huge supply he needed, a shortage of
camera memory, no facilities to store or send the captured images - the internet cafe's
were less than adequately equiped and none were prepared to load software.. he found the
whole experience very disheartening and had bought a few cheap disposables to continue the
picture taking once the digital had given up.  The group immediately responded with
suggestions that he should have taken a laptop which prompted an explosion from the guy
about additional weight, cost, and the additional problems of how to power the laptop.

I'd be curious to hear how you get on with a digital on your trip and whether it is or is
not a viable way to take pictures while camping/touring (in your opinion)..

thanks

karl