Gallery Impressions July 7, 2002

On this my son's 6th birthday, having survived the emotional rollercoaster,
as the caffeine-sugar slurry that has been my diet today distorts my
perception I pace back and forth typing out my impressions of this weeks
gallery (http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html) like a lab rat in a long
term cocaine use experiment.

Robert Carlson (Still Life with Danny Glover) - I love the X-men look - the
angled camera, giant Danny's smile peaking up from the darkness and that
slash of neon. Very moody. The ornage caste really makes this image and
orange is not something I would likely have tried.

Bob Talbot (Greeting)  How can you not like this photo? Those pudgy little
clowns of the aviary world here shown even more animated than usual. The guy
on the right is obviously enrapturing the charming lady at his side with an
amusing story from work about how Johnson  walked around all day with a
piece of toilet paper stuck to his shoe. I love the emerald gree of the rock
and the orange puffin feet. Way to go capturing the perfect moment Bob.

Richard Cooper (White water Kayaking on an Erie canal Spillway) - Highest
marks for title length but I'm not being thrilled by this image. The kayaker
rounding the pole is interesting and an image cropped tightly around him
would thrill me more but as it is, the second kayaker, the rocks and all the
empty water distract me from the main boater.

Fletcher Jernigan (Patience) - The balance of fishermen and environment in
this shot does not seem right to me. I think if the guys were specks on the
shore or if you zoomed in on one of them or even if the DOF was shortr this
would work better for me. As it is I can see some detail in them which makes
them a focal point but they are surrounded by clearly defined grass which
competes with them.

Roderick Chen - Now perhaps this was a 65mm lens on the 4x5 but then again
perhaps it was a 500mm on the Nikon taken from the deck of the lodge while
Celeste freshens the cherry in your Manhattan. We need details man!

D.L. Shipman - Lets see somebody beat this for slipping graphic nastiness
into the gallery. It looks like compression has removed details from the
plumage. I liked last week's image better.

Christiane Roh (Lucerne, May 2002) - I like these window images with their
tricky optics. The scroll work above he window looks painted on when you see
it with the more vibrant window images. I like the blend of the solid,
classic stonework and the fluid, modern collage in the windows. Are the red
shadows behind the woman due to the window or are they prints inside or
outside the window?

Mottie Heller (cafe) - I am interested in why you placed the cup so that it
lines up with the edge of the highlight on the table. I would have placed it
further to the left. This is maybe too minimlist for me.

Kostas Papakotas (dead factory) - This is a very strange shot. There is a
lot of bizarre digital effects like a checkerboard overlay on the foreground
wall and fence. The background is strange to me also. I can't see a vertical
or horizontal line anywhere and the foreground fence breaks up any solid
shapes that may exist in the buildings. I sense disarray and chaos. If you
didn't mention it was a factory I would have taken it for an old prison.
With so many lines and nothing really stable to rest my eyes upon, I want to
look away after a short period of time.

Greg Fraser (Broad Leaf) - No dangerous adventure here (except for getting
kicked by the kids or having the gate open into my head). This is a new leaf
on a plant in my yard. I like the pattern formed by the veins radiating from
the stem.

Jose Luis Vasconcellos (Oh man, how I love Bill Brandt...) - What I like
about this image is the way the lens has thrust the feet into my face and
forcing a starting point for my eyes. Either leg leads into the shot and
back to the woman's head where I follw her eyes up and out of the photo.
Even her breast looks like an eye looking upward. I also like the way she is
lookat the the point where the diagonal line formed by her left foot, right
leg and right arm intersects with her left arm. Classic form. Very nice.

jIMMY Harris (Little House - NOT - on the Prairie!) - Well if that's little
then I live in a shack. Wait ... I do live in a shack. Anyway the house is a
stable little triangle. We leave the house and begin our ascent of the
mountain. With each step the environment grows more harsh, more uncertain.
The danger increases, increases until finally poof! We reach a fluffy cloud
and a clear, extremely blue sky and we are back in our comfy zone. Pretty
cool how the cloud atop the mountain echos the white roof of the house.

Not really great impressions but better than none.
Greg Fraser
http://www.geocities.com/fraserg1962