OT What in the hell is that $#*&*% knob for???

Be patient dear friends, I know that probabily this is not the correct forum
for this question but it is driving me crazy and I do not have the guts for
the
nikon mailing list...  I bought this 105mm micro nikkor manual focus AIS and
it has a
silver knob at one side. I turn it to the right and to the left and nothing
happens. Some good soul could answer me what in the hell is that $#*&*%
knob for???