Re:Re:Re: Comments on 22 June 2002 Gallery

luis <chilled_delirium@mailstation.com> writes:

> >Ah. Perhaps you misunderstand.
>
>   Perhaps I do.

I'm sorry, Luis, but my original comment was tongue-in-cheek, and I'm a
bit astonished that you don't just accept it as such. Remember the first
thing I said: "Read John Shaw's 'Closeups in Nature'."

>    Please correct me if I am still misunderstanding you...but it seems
> as if you are saying that your reaction to Shaw's imagery is awe,
> and that awe causes, to use your own word, to feel "dejected"  ?
>                                    Why ?

I think reactions to mastery of anything are bound to be a bit mixed, at
least if you are the sort of person who wants to do things rather than
consume them. I think Roderick Chen's image in this week's gallery is
immaculate - does that make me dejected? Well, no, but I think that's at
least partly just my mood at the moment. But about the last thing he
makes me want to do right now is rush out and buy tomatoes and try to do
the same thing. And I think Shaw's book is the same in many ways - there
is lots of inspiration to be gained from it, but by and large this
inspiration sinks in very slowly. You carry on doing what you were doing
before, but then here and there you think - "Ah, *this* is where Shaw
was doing such-and-such" - and very gradually (I hope!) this pays off.

>   Why do you consider the other books a balm for this dejection ?
> Not as awesome ?

No, of course not. But you might need a change, and anyway I think that
at least anyone who ever wants to photograph plants should read "On
growth and form" (http://imaginatorium.org/books/ogaf.htm) because (a)
it's the best book ever written, and (b) you'll understand something
more about plants, which as John Shaw says is the most important thing
in the end.

Brian Chandler
geo://Sano.Japan.Planet_3
http://imaginatorium.org/