Re: remove from list -- do photons wave?

"Robert G. Earnest" wrote:
> Do photons really wave as they roll by?

That's a very deep question Robert.

Since it has long been shown that photons can exhibit both wave and
particle behaviour, you question is, in essence, "can they exhibit both
at once?".

The answer to this is yes, and no.  And that is quite definite.

According to Quantum Electrodynamics, the behaviour of photons
(electrons, and other particles) can be totally explained by them being
particles.

Interestingly enough, it also explains why (not simply that) an oxygen
atom combines with 2 hydrogen atoms to form water (whether solid,
liquid, or gassious).

But of perhaps the most interest to photographers it explains a method
for refraction and diffraction that does not rely on vavelike
behaviour.  (Newton's fans may start a mexican wave now.)

It cannot explain, but does provide a method for calculating partial
reflection from the front and rear surface of (say) a mirror.  What is
interesting about partial reflection is that the amount reflected from
the front surface depends on the thickness of the piece of glass.  If
you don't think that is weird, then you haven't thought about it long
enough.

Photographers DO take advantage of the way that partial reflection is
affected by thickness with the use of coatings on lens surfaces.

So, my answer to you Robert, sadly, has to be NO.  I'm afraid that I
cannot be convinced on the evidence and the well tested theoretical
description of the actions of a photon by QED to envisage that a photon
would be a wave (as opposed to exhibiting wave-like behaviour) as it
passes by.

Steve