Re: "Magical thinking"

chris writes:

> A silverless process has been developed where the blue absorber is split
by
> light and immediately combines with a white compound to form a yellow dye
> and similarly for the other colours.  All that needs doing then is to fix
> the film and that can be done by making the colour coupling compound part
if
> the plastic layer and washing the absorbers out of the film with solvents.

Hi Chris.

The silverless process you describe sounds like the old Agfa Copycolor
process, the one where a sheet of the Agfa paper was exposed and then passed
through a 'stabilizing' bath to produce a print.  I recall it being heralded
in it's time as a breakthrough and although expensive many photography
magazines wrote up that they foresaw it becoming a part of home darkrooms of
the future.  Of course the initial high price didn't fall fast enough for
consumers and the pre-press industry and then there was the promise of
digital looming in the future.  I believe Kodak also tried releasing their
brand of the technology too.

I have a couple of prints lying around somewhere made with that stuff,
they're still looking pretty good after all this time but they are a little
flat - I recall this being one complaint that the customers always had of
this product.

karl