RE: "Magical thinking"

Thanks for that...

Sometimes the organic compound will absorb a photon and its chemical bond
will break.  The tendancy to do this depends on the compound.  This is the
basis of colour photography.  In colour film there are three different
compound each of which is a molecule that will absorb light at a specific
colour.  One for red, one for blue and one for green, these are in different
layers which are protected by dyes because they are not exact in their
absorbtion.  When they react they activate a silver crystal so that it can
be reduced by hyrdroquinone.  These molecules complex the silver crystal and
pass their electron to the silver ion (Ag+) thus making it Ag metal.  This
activates the rest of the crystal of silver chloride.

When the film is developed the compounds which are broken into two smaller
molecules by the light and then by the reducing action of the hydroquinone
form new bonds with a component of the developer which is white but when
coupled with these colour couplers in the film they form a colour.  Cyan for
the red absorber, magenta for the green absorber and yellow for the blue
absorber.

I am not sure if the colour couplers are the same compounds as the ones that
absorb the light but I think so.

A silverless process has been developed where the blue absorber is split by
light and immediately combines with a white compound to form a yellow dye
and similarly for the other colours.  All that needs doing then is to fix
the film and that can be done by making the colour coupling compound part if
the plastic layer and washing the absorbers out of the film with solvents.

Colours in films, tansparencies, clothes, and ink-jet prints all fade by
absorbing light.  Usually blue light and this fades reds the fastest and
results in a cyan or blue garment, transparency, or ink-jet print.  Pigment
paints are inorganic compounds which do not split and thus do not fade.

Chris
http://www.chris-image.co.uk
http://www.chrisscrazyideas.co.uk
http://www.chrisssoftwareshop.co.uk