RE: copyright?

At 9:42 AM -0700 6/16/02, Alan Zinn wrote:
>  I can't say they are copyrighted - so,
>is just the statement "(picture) may not be reproduced (by any means,
>blah,blah) without written permission of (the owner)." enough of a legal
>claim?

No.  Not a legal claim to copyright.

>Does the term: "(Name), all rights reserved" have any meaning
>legally speaking?

There is a formula specified in US Copyright law for notification of
copyright on intellectual property.  It consists of three elements:
date, copyright sign (©, or copr. or copyright) and name.  Optimally,
this info needs to be inseperable from the intellectual property, but
often this is difficult to achieve.  However, if the work is
registered and the thief can be demonstrated to have removed the
copyright notification, the owner has proof of infringment - always a
good thing.

Really, many of the answers to your concerns can be found either on
the EP site, http://editorialphoto.com, or at the Library of
Congress, which administers the U. S. Copyright Office.
--
Emily L. Ferguson
elf@cape.com  508-563-6822