Re: Cleaning Plastic Reels

I learn a long time ago that you should clean them by soaking in Vinegar
(distilled) overnight and then clean them in warm water next day, at least
every 10 rolls.  I have Patterson reels that are 20+ years old (my dad used
them) and are still working well, I cleaned them like that once a month.
If your reel is too worned out, you may just replace it.

At 10:11 PM 6/12/02 +0800, you wrote:
>Russel writes:
>
> > Anybody have any good ideas for
> > how to clean plastic developing reels?
> > (Patterson)
>

> > I am sure that there is some product
> > on the market to do it. I was wondering
> > if anyone had any home brew method?
>
>If they have aquired a deposit of silver or dev stains they can be cleaned
>with either a 10% potassium bichromate solution acidified with 5% sulphuric
>acid   or a 5% copper sulphate solution acidified with 10% hydrochloric acid
>(both are bleaches), after treatment they should be washed wish sodium
>sulphite 5% (silver solvent) then dropped into fix for a while then washed
>thoroughly in clean water.
>
>Gien the price of new ones though, unless they're specific to your tank or
>you're really really attached to them, replacement is often an easier option
>;-)
>

>karl

Pablo Coronel
Graduate Student