Re: Gallery Impressions for June 8, 2002

Le 8.6.2002 23:42, « Gregory Fraser » <Gregory.Fraser@pwgsc.gc.ca> a écrit :

> Christiane Roh (London, British Museum, April 2002) - Ah, there's that
> smooth toned, fine grained Roh I remember. Beauriful play of lines and
> angles, perfect camera placement and the two smaller window curves are
> answered by the one broad curve of the dome and the even larger diameter
> curves of the blocks in the wall below the window. A complex set of lines
> well organized. Very nice.

Hi Greg,

You'll soon win the price of the most regular reviewer after BobT :-)) a
great thank for educating our look weeks after weeks and thanks for the kind
words concerning the window of the British Museum. I was happy with the
framing too (using a Leica M6 and not a Contax G2 as stated) but got some
difficulties with the grey tones because of the high contrast. I was using
Kodak T400CN and scanned direct from the neg using a Nikon film scanner. I'd
have liked if the shadows line on the white wall were a little darker, but
then I was loosing too-much details in the shadows. I do still often feel
insecure in choosing tones for B&W pictures.

Le 9.6.2002 4:04, « Andrew Fildes » <afildes@netlink.com.au> a écrit :

> Christiane Roh - London, British Museum
> I love bw architectural. Only the keystoning bothers me- but getting a
> higher angle would lose those great reflections. A shift front or lens
> is the only answer - or faking it in Photoshop.

Thanks Andrew for reviewing.. But I'm not sure to understand correctly what
you mean by keystoning ? The dictionary states that a keystone goes with a
vault. So I'm not sure what deformation you are addressing here. FWIW : this
is a window of the library inside the main court of the British Museum and
this library is built on a round plan, hence the curved horizontal lines
exhibited by the window. Using a view camera won't have suppressed the
curved lines, at least not completely, but it would have corrected the
converging verticals. I must say that in this case, the convergence doesn't
bother me; both the light dome and the reflection of the sky imply we know
we are looking at something very heigh and thus our brain tend to accept the
convergence more easily.. At least in my case. It does also help to magnify
the prestige of the library : when you enter it, you feel really as if you
were in a cathedral of science; it is awesome.