Gallery Impressions for June 8, 2002

These are my heat stroke induced impressions of the Photoforum gallery as
seen at http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html.

Janine C. Hanson (Fisherman's Dream 2000) - Great title and I applaud your
asserting your independence by refusing to use the term 'fisherperson'. I
really like this image. The panoramic format bothered me at first but you
have used it well with the flow of the water stretching the reflected light
into long streaks that originate on the fish's back. I like this image even
before I noticed ther was a fish in it. I find this shot very pretty. Now
how did you get the fish to stay in just the right spot?

King/Arthur (Wiggleman Walk To X) - Absurd title and I applaud your
asserting your independence by refusing to use the term 'Wiggleperson'. I
don't care for either of the colors you have used but they do work well
together. However I find it difficult to embrace this piece. I can't seem to
find a starting point through which to enter the image (so to speak).

Roderick Chen - Beautiful bouquet in a refreshinly high key background. I
find it strange somehow seeing the person holding the flowers almost
blurring into obscurity. That's probably due to my own tunnel vision. This
is a very pleasing image with amazing control of DOF.

jIMMY Harris (gREEN Spider) - WOW jIMMY! The cream of your entomological
studies. To me the flash does not look so much like a flash as to be
distracting. The first thing I did was check the shadows which indicate a
light up and to the right of the camera just like the sun could be. In my
opinion better than a ring flash in this case. I really like this shot with
that freaky spider centered perfectly on the flower. Yay.

Greg Fraser (Victoria Day 2002) - I like the way the wind is blowing the
fireworks into a less than perfect umbrella. I think this was a 45 second
exposure. I used a night shooting exposure guide I got off the internet and
it is amazingly accurate.

Brian Chandler (After Greg Fraser) - Ah the 60'. This reminds me of a really
great screen saver called 'Organic Art'. I love the long strokes of
brilliant pink accented by the lime green stem. I also like the way the lack
of DOF renders some of the petals as translucent. Abstract, natural chaos -
how could anyone not love it specially with that title?

Christiane Roh (London, British Museum, April 2002) - Ah, there's that
smooth toned, fine grained Roh I remember. Beauriful play of lines and
angles, perfect camera placement and the two smaller window curves are
answered by the one broad curve of the dome and the even larger diameter
curves of the blocks in the wall below the window. A complex set of lines
well organized. Very nice.

Bob Talbot (Whitby Shop) - This is a tough one for me. I like the statues
and the yellow stripe on the road (almost a trademark now) but I don't think
the cars and sign on the road help. Did you need the 24mm lens to capture
the sentinals vertically or were you going for long DOF? Either way it does
look like an interesting place to visit.

Andrew Fildes - I like the look on her face and her pose. They look very
natural for her and she looks as if she needed to be photographed as you
said. I don't get the feeling of an infrared image though. I think I would
prefer the grainy b&w.

D.L. Shipman (Barbicans with Barby) - Is it the palm trees that remind me of
the cover of 'Hotel California' by The Eagles? This image doesn't really
jump out at me and I'm not sure I like the sort of bleeding dye effect but I
can look at this image for a long time none the less. That must mean I like
it.

Elson T. Elizaga (Operating Room) - Copyright notice much better. Image
rather clinical (no pun intended). Operating room shots don't seem to thrill
me but these images are very well done technically and more than just a
record of events. This composition reminds me of a classic painting where
all the lines lead to the center of interest. Are these shots staged?

Jose Luis Vasconcellos (1/50s in Satchmo's life) - So why is that guy in the
back so ecstatic? Well he's so happy his daughter (to his right) won the
Decca Records 'Win a Date Satchmo in Paris' contest and he and his wife (far
right) got to chaperone. He has decided to leave his underwear in the hotel
when he leaves so he'll have more room in his suitcase for French postcards.
His wife Estelle, is not so happy with the whole thing because this is the
first time she's been out of Ohio, this is the last day and she hasn't even
gotten to see the freakin' Eiffel Tower!

And so ends another chapter in our lives.

Greg Fraser
http://www.geocities.com/fraserg1962