Re: craftsmen's booths at fairs

In a message dated 6/7/2002 7:16:03 AM Central Daylight Time, elf@cape.com writes:

It's a record shot for application to further shows, so it has to be
a slide.  But I don't want it to be crap.  Crap never leads to
further business.

One pro around here charges $19/slide for shooting flat art or
crafts.  He has a permanently set up studio.  Another guy charges
$40/hr + film expense for the same type of work.  He sets up each
shoot more or less from scratch.  This would not be a studio set-up,
so each shot would have to be set up from scratch depending on the
objects in the booth.

--
Emily L. Ferguson

EMILY,

I can almost feel the pressure -from here!  So- I will risk the Wrath of the 'techno deities' of the List & simply state how I would Photograph this situation.  I also have seen the Wonderful way You handle -LIGHT- in the Photos You have posted to the GALLERY - and am confident You can handle this assignment.

FORGET the Flash - DO Not use Slide Film!!!!!

Buy, rent, borrow or steal the biggest pair of rolling 'Photo Floods' You can find.  Use Professional color print film -matched to their Kelvin Temperature (or filter daylight film to 32-3400 K). Shoot a gray card with color scale on each roll of film.  Use a tripod and have Your subjects pose, but move around with a second camera  (fast lens) and try for some candid angles.  Fuji 800 ? Shoot all the film You can in the time You have.

If You Can't get access to Photo Floods - (make Your own) - approach would still be the same.  Use 'Color Negative Film'  filtered for the lighting conditions and professionally printed with color corrections. A slide can be made from a color negative (& looks better) -just takes alil longer- depends on Your Customer deadline.

Present each exhibitor with a group of color print 'photo proofs' to find out which one(s) they would like for You to -make into a Slide- for their application.

Then - CHARGE EM DOUBLE-!

jIMMY