RE: Gallery Impressions for May 21, 2001

Greetings!

> Johnathan Bailey (Danville, VT 1998) - This is a really cool shot. The
> vignetting works well with this subject. I like the way the horizon splits
> the angle formed by the road and the arch of water. Very neat. Do you know
> what this truck is spraying and why? It appears to be winter so I presume
> they are making snow but I don't see a ski hill there.

There seems to be some curiosity about the spray from a couple people:

The truck is spraying whey on a field as fertilizer. (Whey is a by-product
of cheese-making, and also nursery rhymes, i.e. "...she sat eating her curds
and whey....") (wink).  The truck driver kept shutting the spray off
whenever cars went by, and was reluctant to have it going as I approached to
photograph him - I had to keep motioning to him to continue.  I was covered
with fine white mist when I got done shooting..... It was kind of surreal
with him there at sunset - this was just a day or two before Christmas and
we were traveling to see relatives....

There also seems to be some question about the print color - which is a
result of "split-toning" in a gold-based toner.  Most of my work is toned in
one way or another.

I wrote a pair of articles for Camera Arts last winter which discuss the
issue of "color" in B&W photography - from an historical standpoint, as well
as contemporary prejudices.  If you are interested in this issue (or in
toning and split-toning) these articles are reproduced, complete with many
illustrations, at my new website - www.jonathan-bailey.com.

Further, I am teaching two workshops on the subject of toning, split-toning
and Mordancage this summer - one at Santa Fe Workshops in July, and one in
my studio, here in Tenants Harbor, Maine - in August.  More information
about them is also available at the website.

Do many of you on this list experiment with toners??

Thanks for responding to my image!

Best wishes -

Jon Bailey
www.jonathan-bailey.com