Re: Gallery Impressions 13 May 2002

Le 12.5.2002 12:48, « Rosemarie Hernandez » <roseybucks@yahoo.com> a écrit :

> Roh: bad taste--ask permission first!

Hi Joseph,
Thanks for taking the time to comment. I'm somewhat unsure about how to
interpret it however : do you say that tongue in cheek, because the guy was
frowning ? Or do you really think it is bad taste to take street pictures
without asking ?  IF so why ? Street photography is a long tradition in
photography and since that guy doesn't show any apparent disabilities, since
the picture doesn't doesn't make him look bad, I don't see why it could
possibly be of bad taste !!

Ok, I'm a middle aged woman who took a candid of a young man in the street..
But is there something wrong with that ? Would you also say it's bad taste
if a man in his fifties was presenting pictures of young pretty women ??!!

Le 13.5.2002 19:22, « Gregory Fraser » <Gregory.Fraser@pwgsc.gc.ca> a
écrit :

> Christiane Roh (Lausanne, Place Bel Air, April 2002) - Now this is a
> different side of Lausanne than you have shown us before (or at least that I
> remember). I wonder if he was aware of your shooting him. I have seen this
> look on people's faces many times. Sadly I see it a lot on children's faces
> for no apparent reason. I am very interested in your story of this shot. It
> seems my brain is obsessed with patterns because I noticed his brow wrinkles
> are very similar to the scribbles on the window to the right of his mouth.
> Pointless observation but what the hey.

Hi Greg,

Many thanks for offering your comments on all pictures weeks after weeks.
Concerning Lausanne, I remember your remark last time (hadn't opportunity to
answer in time because I was between trips and very busy).. But yes,
Lausanne, like any other Swiss cities is incredibly clean.. Public places
are cleaned often, people don't throw things on the ground; houses are often
repainted and usually maintained better than elsewhere. Each time I travel,
there is a shock when you come back and see how clean every thing looks here
(we say it's "propre en ordre" = clean, neat and tidy). Things are changing
slowly however, partly due to new mentalities, increasing cultural diversity
and last but not least because public resources have been under pressure
during all the nineties and thus the cleaning teams have now been reduced.
The place where the picture was taken lies right in the center of the city
and has become somewhat insecure by night. But the shot was taken at a but
stop, during the rush hour, at around 6 pm.

I don't know whether the guy was aware of being photographed. I saw him
coming, thought he had an interesting face, but he hid himself behind the
bus shelter wall. So I preset the controls and then worked fast, using the
folding screen to frame, instead of the viewfinder. He was probably frowning
both because he was partly blinded by the light of a bright white sky and
because of the possibility of being photographed. IMO, he didn't know with
certitude whether he had been photographed or not and what I did. After the
shot I turned away fast, because he wasn't looking especially friendly ;-)
--
Christiane

"L'art est fait pour troubler, la science rassure"
(Georges Braque)