Re: PF members' exhibits on May 4, 2002

Phil Penne wrote:
> Just saw this shot in the Gallery - very powerful!  As seemingly simple as it
> is, every time I look at it I see something I never noticed before - another
> shadow, or some other small nuance.
>
> Congratulations on a quiet photo that speaks volumes.

Gregory Fraser:
> Roderick Chen (Blue) - What I find most interesting about this is the way
> everything but the man, including the edge of the image, has an airbrush
> appearance. Instead of being drawn directly to him through the use of lines
> and shapes, I sort of float to him gradually as I search for definition at
> the edges. The only hard shadows are on the man's face. The composition is
> very well done also with the line of the back of the man's head and
> shoulders matching the joint of the floor and wall behind him. Actually if
> you move up from the bottom left corner along the shadow to the man's right
> foot, up his body until you hit the wall-floor joint and along that line you
> get a tilted, flattened 'S' and who can resist the old 'S' curve? These kind
> of details really impress me.

Hi everyone,

I have never noticed the S shape before, thanks for pointing it out.

I have always had a facination with selective focus and also the effect of
the softar, soft focus filter. I do not own a Softar but I thought I could
try to digitally recreate it while adding the selective focus as well. Being
the first attempt, I may have overdone it a little.

Thanks for all the reviews,

Regards,

Roderick