Re: Not really photography but optics related

Bob Blakely <Bob@Blakely.com> writes:

> Whoa there! You're right! Damn, I had another brain fart! What I've been
> calling a virtual image is a form of real image, even though it can only be
> seen through the eyepiece and exists only in the ether! Now there was a name
> for this type of real image. What was it? I can see the diagrams from the
> text in my head, but I can't make out the term!

Er, um, no, it seems to me you've been denying that it is any sort of
image at all. As in the usage of "real number" in maths (a rich source
of pomo nonsense, btw), "real image" has a conventional meaning, that
doesn't deny the "reality" of virtual images. I think most simply that a
*real image* is one to which the light rays are all converging (so it
forms on a sheet of paper); otoh, a *virtual image* is one from which
the light rays are *diverging*. So if you catch these diverging rays in
your imaging system (eye), you see the image.

When you hold a magnifying glass just above the newspaper, it forms an
image you can most certainly see, that is just below the actual surface
of the newspaper. So it would be astonishing if it you could capture
this image by placing some film underneath the newspaper!

Brian Chandler
geo://Sano.Japan.Planet_3
http://imaginatorium.org/