Re: Digital Plunge: Roderick's reply

I use the Minolta Dimage 7, and my experience with DOF is similar.  It is
all I can do to get any kind of separation between subject and background.
Usually everything appears to be in focus.

The camera works wonderfully in the studio, except that I have to use a ND
filter to overcome the aperture limit of 9.5.

dan c.

At 10:00 AM 03-05-02 -0600, rand flory wrote:
>Roderick, Bill, et al.
>
>You are correct in that the E-10 (and probably the E-20) does not have an
>aperture setting smaller than f/11. But remember, this is a digital camera,
>with a chip smaller than 35mm film. So while the ads talk about the focal
>length of the lens to be 35-140mm (35mm equivalent), the key phrase there
>is: (35mm equivalent). The real focal length is 9-36mm. The depth of field
>associated with wide-angle lenses is so great that it compensates for the
>lack of DOF that you expect at f/16 and f/22. The real problem with digital
>cameras is not the lack of depth of field, but that it is difficult to
>obtain a shallow DOF. At least the E-10 will open to f/2 and there is some
>semblance of a shallow depth of field.

[snip]