Re: Digital Plunge

Roderick <rcp@videotron.ca> writes:

> Just a couple of issues I would like to point out concerning the E-20. I did
> a test with the camera in studio quite awhile ago. While I am no authority
> on digital cameras, I was unable to close the lens past f11. Since my
> knowledge on the camera was limited, maybe I had it set wrong. Any ways this
> limited the depth of field, therefore it was unsuitable for needs.

Did you *measure* the depth of field?  My most common problem in
digital is *excess* depth of field, because of the small sensor size
and hence the short focal length of the lenses.  They tend not to have
really small apertures because stopping down that far gets seriously
into diffraction territory on such short focal length lenses....

> I realize, since you wish to shoot mostly weddings, this might not be a
> factor that will affect you. I would however verify the amount of shutter
> delay, if any, the camera has. Meaning the amount of time it takes the
> shutter to fire once you have pressed the button. If the delay is longer
> than you are used to, you might end up missing some special moments.

Especially a problem with the consumer level cameras.  I measured a
.15 second delay in my Epson 850Z, which sounds small but turns out to
be a *major* nuisance.  It's completely hopeless for fast action if
you *must* get the picture.  Fast action includes kittens playing, and
even people engaging in an animated converstation -- the faces change
completely between when you push the shutter and get the picture.   On
the other hand, for things like people talking, that go on, I can just
shoot over and over again and find the good ones.  Wouldn't work if I
had to get the key shot of the crucial play at a football game!

(I believe pro-grade equipment, film SLRs even, tends to have around
70 millisecond shutter delays).

Another concern about the Olympus E-20 for plunging into digital --
last I looked, it cost the same as the Nikon D100 SLR is going to cost
at first release (this month).  I don't think there's much question
that the D100 will be a better and more flexible camera.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b@dd-b.net  /  Ghugle: the Fannish Ghod of Queries
 John Dyer-Bennet 1915-2002 Memorial Site http://john.dyer-bennet.net