Re: PF members' exhibits on April 27, 2002

Greg wrote:
> Roderick Chen (jazz) - I find it amazing how often the same general subject
> will appear in numerous photos in the same week. This photo is every bit as
> good as John's and both portray a definite mood. I get a real sense of night
> club lighting. You have the perfect amount of blur here. I can still clearly
> understand the photo but at the same time everything is in motion and
> indistinct like my impression of jazz. Great composition with the horn
> coming in from bottom left, the subject's head coming down from the top and
> both of them anchored by his left shoulder coming up from bottom right.
> Great shot!

Hi all,
This was staged studio shot. I used one tungsten light in combination with
flash to achieve the movement or blur. The technique is simply, light your
subject with flash and the background with tungsten. And choose a long
shutter speed. The flash freezes the subject and motion is created when the
camera or subject moves during the remaining time the shutter is open. Since
all the lights are covered with strong coloured gels, the colour balance for
the film between tungsten and flash is not an issue.

Thanks for the reviews,

Roderick