Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Does derby have an embedded Mode like Derby ?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul Taylor" <ijabz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pgsql-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, August 04, 2009 9:56 AM
Subject: Re:  Does derby have an embedded Mode like Derby ?

Of course you can always use Derby for testing the Postgres later. I have
found HSQLDB to be closer to Postgres than Derby is. I do seem to recall
the Netbeans group recommends using sever mode during development then
switch to imbedded for distribution. I have done it both ways with equal
success and similar efforts.

Bayless

Thanks  I am trying to use Derby but fallen foul of Postgres array
datatype which Derby doesn't support, Ive just had a quick look at HSQLDB
and it doesn't appear to support it either.

Paul

Yes, I'm afraid you're gonna be out of luck on finding the array type in any
of
the smaller embedded databases. Honestly, the beg project I've been on for a
year or so has used Postgres right through full development and testing.
It's
not hard to start and stop the database whenever I need to although I
usually
just leave it running.

Bayless