Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Does derby have an embedded Mode like Derby ?

Bayless Kirtley wrote:

Paul Taylor, 04.08.2009 15:48:
Thats a shame, I wanted to write junit test for a java program that queried a database, requiring a full database to be available for unit tests is not really an environment I want to have.

Well if you want to test the database, you will need a full database.

But you can easily setup and start a Postgres server through a batch file/shell script. I have a small batch file that simply uses the binary ZIP distribution to run initdb and create the initial databases. We are using this to bundle Postgres e.g. with a Tomcat web application. You don't really need to run an installer and/or create registry entries (for windows). This would then resemble more the Derby network server setup.

Thomas

Of course you can always use Derby for testing the Postgres later. I have found HSQLDB to be closer to Postgres than Derby is. I do seem to recall the Netbeans group recommends using sever mode during development then switch to imbedded for distribution. I have done it both ways with equal success and similar efforts.

Bayless

Thanks I am trying to use Derby but fallen foul of Postgres array datatype which Derby doesn't support, Ive just had a quick look at HSQLDB and it doesn't appear to support it either.

Paul