Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Creating schema, database, or table in different folder.

Carlos Oliva wrote:
> Is there a way to create a database or a table of a database in its own
> folder?

You could use tablespaces for that bit, BUT:

> We are looking for ways to backup the sytem files of the
> database to tape and one to exclude some tables from this backup.

you can't do that with tablespaces. The write-ahead log is shared across
ALL the databases and all tablespaces. If your restore is missing some
files, the replay of the write-ahead log won't succeed. Your catalog
would also be out-of-sync with the actual data files. Your backup would
be broken.

If you want to do selective backups, use pg_dump, which has options to
include/exclude some tables.

(This needs a FAQ entry)

--
Craig Ringer