Search Postgresql Archives

Re: backup getting larger and larger

Chander Ganesan wrote:
Steve Crawford wrote:
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo wrote:
I still have to investigate if the tables are getting really
larger...
Can we assume that by backup you mean pg_dump/pg_dumpall? If so, then the change is likely due to increasing data in the database. I have a daily report that emails me a crude but useful estimate of table utilization based on this query:
The better way to do this would likely be to use the pg_*_size functions detailed here:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/functions-admin.html#FUNCTIONS-ADMIN-DBSIZE

In particular pg_total_relation_size() , |pg_size_pretty|(), and the like... Seems much more straightforward than the queries mentioned above..

You are, of course, correct. That is a better choice if you are up-to-date.

Unfortunately I still have some lingering servers that haven't been upgraded to a version that includes that functionality (and I know I'm not alone...) :)

Cheers,
Steve