Search Postgresql Archives

Re: backup getting larger and larger

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo wrote:
I still have to investigate if the tables are getting really
larger... but at a first guess there shouldn't be any good reason to
see tables getting so large so fast... so I was wondering if
anything could contribute to make a backup much larger than it was
other than table containing more records?

The only thing that should have been really changed is the number of
concurrent connections during a backup.
Can we assume that by backup you mean pg_dump/pg_dumpall? If so, then the change is likely due to increasing data in the database. I have a daily report that emails me a crude but useful estimate of table utilization based on this query:

select
 relname as table,
 to_char(8*relpages, '999,999,999')  as "size (kB)",
(100.0*relpages/(select sum(relpages) from pg_class where relkind='r'))::numeric(4,1) as percent
from
 pg_class
where
 relkind = 'r'
order by
 relpages desc
limit 20;

If, however, you are doing a filesystem backup then table and index bloat could, indeed, increase your backup size. But more importantly, you will likely be in for a rude surprise should you ever need to restore.

Cheers,
Steve