Search Postgresql Archives

Re: In the belly of the beast (MySQLCon)

Alvaro Herrera wrote:
Geoffrey wrote:

I'm really not altogether sure what you mean by transaction velocity. I'm pretty sure the electrons are traveling pretty close to the speed of light. ;)

Actually, electrons themselves flow rather slowly -- millimeters per
second according to Wikipedia.  The signal propagation is a bit faster:
"typically 75% of light speed", Wikipedia again.

Well, with respect to the velocity of my car, they're much closer to the speed of light. It's all relative. In that comparison, the difference is certainly imperceptible. Let's not take this to the quantum level okay? :)

Anyway, he means "transaction rate".  But the actual useful figure is
further removed from that because we're mostly only interested in write
transactions, not read-only (though those still have an effect in
versions earlier than 8.3.)

Understood. I don't think we'll have a problem, based on our testing thus far. We have to get to 8.3 first though, and that's on the front burner.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

 - Benjamin Franklin