Search Postgresql Archives

Re: In the belly of the beast (MySQLCon)

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 14:59:34 -0400
Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I find it pretty unlikely that Slony would be unable to help you
upgrade here.  Obviously you can upgrade one database at a time.

Also, mostly it's not the database size what's a concern, but rather
the size of the largest table.

As I recall (I could be wrong) Slony syncs the whole set as a single
transaction. So if he has his entire database as a set he may
have a problem regardless of the largest or smallest table. I would also
agree that 30 million rows is likely not a problem but he should still
check his velocity.

We have actually replicated all 13 databases and there was no apparent impact on production. This was in the evening, but we are a 24/7 shop.

I'm really not altogether sure what you mean by transaction velocity. I'm pretty sure the electrons are traveling pretty close to the speed of light. ;)

--
Until later, Geoffrey

 - Benjamin Franklin