Search Postgresql Archives

Re: end of life for pg versions...

On Feb 11, 2008, at 9:33 AM, Ivan Sergio Borgonovo wrote:
On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 15:36:21 +0100
Magnus Hagander <magnus@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
http://www.postgresql.org/support/security

that's probably the best one you can find. Or that in combination
with the news archive (http://www.postgresql.org/about/newsarchive)

Really... without making it too formal as a developer I'd appreciate
a rough schedule a page where you would say something like:

- we expect our next minor release will come out in X months
- we expect our major release will come out in Y months
- EOL of release A for platform B is planned around date Z

Even with a disclaimer with a very bland commitment to the release
schedule it could help developers to build up their own schedule and
support list too and give some hook for advocacy as well.

The problem with that is that as a volunteer-run project, dates can be off by a mile. Less than a year ago the plan was to release 8.3 is August-September 2007. Instead it was released a week or two ago.

IIRC, the decision to end support for a version is determined in large part by how hard it would be to back-patch something. If a bug was found that dated back to 7.4 but was very difficult to fix in 7.4 I bet you'd see 7.4 get EOL'd unless someone wanted to pay to back- patch it.

I think the closest thing to a policy you'll find is a discussion from a year or two ago where the consensus was that we should endeavor to support a version for at least 2 years after it's replacement comes out (ie: 8.2 should be supported for at least 2 years after we released 8.3).
--
Decibel!, aka Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect  decibel@xxxxxxxxxxx