Search Postgresql Archives

Re: PGCon vs Postgresql Conference

Sim Zacks wrote:
Anyway my suggestion to Sim is to read about each conference on the
respective conference websites:

http://www.postgresqlconference.org/why/
http://www.pgcon.org/2008/

I read those, I was just confused as to why there were 2 conferences on the same topics one right after the other.

Because there are two different entities organizing them. Just like there are 50 different Linux conferences around the world :).

Someone mentioned that one is commercial and the other is not-for-profit, so someone might define PGCon as proprietary and say the postgresqlconference is open source, but that would start a flame war and would be inappropriate being that both of them are supporting open

Hmm I don't know that is appropriate actually. Commercial can certainly benefit Open Source if direct ways. Look at CMD or EDB. PgCon has that option should it choose to as well.

A more key difference is that the non-for-profit PostgreSQL Conference series submits 100% of its proceeds to PostgreSQL via SPI.

source software, and nobody is against making a profit

Of course not. I love profit :).

(except Communists, and they're not against profit as long as the guy who worked hard to earn it doesn't get to keep it).

Ehh, not going to bite on this one. It sounds a bit trollish.

In any case, I wanted to go to one of them, but I can't because one is on the weekend, which I can't attend, and the other ends late Friday afternoon, which is bad for me (but I'll have to wait until the schedule and costs are posted before I'll know for sure).

There is always PGday in July and August, plus West in October.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq