Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Normalization tools for postgres?

Please don't start a new thread by replying to another question.

If you are going to do that, please don't cross-post it in addition. This doesn't appear to be anything to do with PHP.

Dane Springmeyer wrote:
Anyone have recommendations on tools/utilities or SQL approaches to quickly break apart a large imported flat file into normal forms, ideally 1NF or 2NF?

I don't know of any tool that could do this automatically. Without understanding what the columns *mean* how could it.

I noticed this tool for mySQL which captures what I am looking for: http://www.sqldbu.com/eng/sections/tips/normalize.html

Well, given that the example just shows the author doesn't know what 1NF means, I don't think it does do what you want.

Given the fields with data to be output into separate tables, it takes a csv and automatically generates a set of INSERT queries to build all the related tables with new a new primary key for the main table and serialized codes for each of the new tables to maintain relationships.

I don't see any reason why the INSERTs won't work for PG just as well.

Perhaps a customized php script could accomplish the same thing for postgres?

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Can you state what problem you are trying to solve? Do people just email you flat files and ask you to send them a relational database back? Is there a specific file that gets imported on a regular basis?

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster